(From my old blog on pinoyspy.net. Picture from peterimbong.com. Para kay Don Dee at ang iba pang Pinoy na naaalala ang lasa ng nutribun)
Onward, Christian Soldiers!
(Another recipe from my uncle’s book. This one teaches soldiers to transform their nutribun rations into bread pudding! I haven’t tasted, nor dreamt of tasting nutribun, but I haven’t eaten a bread pudding that can hold its own against simple pandesal. Sinong Herodes ang nag-imbento ng recipe na ito? Saan gagawa ng hurno o pugon sa kagubatan ang mga magigiting nating sundalo?)
On with the recipe:
Nutribun – 25 pcs or 18 cups cubes
Milk – 1-3/4 gallons
Butter or Margarine (melted) – 1 cup
Sugar – 6-3/4 cups
Salt – 3 tsps
Raisins (optional) – 4 lbs
Eggs (beaten) – 30 pcs
1. Heat milk in a saucepan.
2. Blend in bread cubes and butter.
3. In a bowl, combine sugar, salt, raisins, and eggs.
4. Blend milk mixture into egg mixture.
5. Pour into greased baking pan. (I guess this is purely a mess hall matter…)
6. Place in a pan of hot water.
7. Bake at 350° (Fahrenheit, I guess) for 1 hour until set.
Size of serving: 1 slice, 2″ x 2″ x 1″
(Tinatamad na naman…)